Yesterday Paula, Kim, Nick, (two friends of Paula’s from her time in Arizona) and I went to Forest Park and visited, among other places, St Louis Zoo. One of little souvenirs you can get there is a slip of paper listing a few things that have happened since you were born. When I got mine I’d been around for 9,318 days, and in that time:
- 3,410,000,000 people were born;
- the world’s population increased by 2,700,000,000 people;
- 1,240 species were declared threatened or endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service;
- 13,789,000,000 tonnes of coal were strip-mined in the US; and
- 179,000,000 passenger cars were sold by US factories.
Three other facts: I will be celebrating my 10,000th day alive on the 4th January 2007; my dad has now been alive for 20,130 days; and for the geeks in the audience, this paragraph includes hCalendar markup.